MY DOG KOA
MY DOG KOA
A new Kickstarter by critically acclaimed children’s author
and American Sign Language Interpreter, Kelly Brakenhoff!
If you want your young child to learn American Sign Language while reading a fun storybook, . . .
If you’re an educator or special education professional looking for diversity resources for your classroom, . . .
If you know a child who is deaf or hard of hearing, . . .
. . . you’ll love the Duke the Deaf Dog ASL Series!
My Dawg Koa: Duke the Deaf Dog ASL Series (MAKE 100)
A hardcover picture book featuring Duke the Deaf Dog and his friend Koa.
Readers will learn 11 American Sign Language signs!
My Dawg Koa is a story about best friends.
Deaf friends Duke and Koa are the same, but they are also different.
Duke the Deaf Dog learns about similarities and differences between friends and families.
Their houses may look different, and their parents may have different rules and expectations, but Duke finds one thing families share no matter what: LOVE.
A fun, engaging way to teach children that friends share common interests.
- 44-page premium 8×8 hardcover picture book illustrated by my talented sister, Theresa Murray.
- Age Range: 3-9 years old and Pre-Kindergarten to Second Grade level
- Bilingual features, including photos of 11 American Sign Language signs and links to videos of Amy Willman, a Deaf ASL instructor, demonstrating the signs and complete story in both ASL and English.
- A durable hardcover that will stand up to countless bedtime or classroom readings.
- Downloadable and printable lesson plans with activity sheets to enhance learning from the book (In high demand from parents, caregivers, and teachers!
- Mid-tier rewards include Kickstarter exclusive art, early access to the eBook, and more!
- Higher tier rewards include exclusive art, virtual classroom visits with the author and an ASL Instructor, Classroom Bundles, and more!
This project will fund special edition HARDCOVER copies of MY DAWG KOA. Deaf and hard of hearing children–and really any child with a disability–want to see characters like themselves in books. Learning ASL is fun for any age child and starts them down the path of bilingualism.
I have used ASL every day in my interpreter career for more than 30 years! Deaf Culture has become a cherished part of my heart. At the same time, I always dreamed of becoming an author.
More than 90% of children who are born deaf or hard of hearing have parents who can hear. I’ve done the research and there are very few books for young children with deaf or hard of hearing characters. Parents and educators need high quality books for their children!
KELLY BRAKENHOFF is an American Sign Language Interpreter whose motivation for learning ASL began in high school when she wanted to converse with her deaf friends. Her first novel, DEATH BY DISSERTATION, kicked off the Cassandra Sato Mystery Series, followed by DEAD WEEK. She also wrote NEVER MIND, first in a children’s picture book series featuring Duke the Deaf Dog. She serves on the Board of Editors for the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf publication, VIEWs. The mother of four young adults and two dogs, Kelly and her husband call Nebraska home.
To request additional review copies or an interview with Kelly Brakenhoff, please contact Mickey Mikkelson at Creative Edge Publicity: firstname.lastname@example.org / 403.464.6925.
We look forward to the coverage!