Atonement (Book 7 of the Detective Ryan Series) by Andrew Hess
1) What is the title of your book?
Ø What is the story about?
· Murder, revenge, and the death of a loved one have forced Detective Ali Ryan back to New York. With no choice, Ali must face her peers and family, atoning for her mistakes while hunting down her greatest rival, the Red Queen. Every moment counts in this thrilling new chapter in the Detective Ryan Series, where paying for your sins can be deadly.
Ø Who is the main character?
· Detective Ali Ryan
2) What inspired this tale?
Ø How did the story come to you?
· It started with the end of the last book in the Detective Thornton Series (Chaos) and the 6thinstallment of the Detective Ryan Series (Escape). I alluded to a death of a main character and decided to continue from there. It became a book of how much devastation can I cause with the new character, the Red Queen.
Ø Did you have to research for this novel, and if so, what and why?
· A little. It was mostly research on abandoned warehouses in Kingston, NY and places to eat in Rhinebeck, NY
Ø If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn, and why?
· I wasn’t really surprised. I just wish I could have been there in person to do my research.
3) Do you feel your character is relatable for readers of all ages?
She is relatable to everyone, but it is strongly recommended only readers 18 and older read the Detective Ryan Series.
Ø Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
ü If yes, then how?
o I would say her determination and never die/never quit mentality.
Ø What made you write this character; were they based on a real person or something that inspired you?
· The original description of Ali Ryan was based on a friend from college. I had not seen her since 2005, so I really don’t know how much her personality or looks resemble the actual person.
ü What should readers know about your protagonist?
o Ali Ryan will never give up. She is put through hell and still keeps fighting on, no matter what it takes to arrest the killer.
ü Why are they important to you?
o I didn’t see much of a female detective in novels growing up. I wanted to display a woman who can represent the heart of a woman; someone who doesn’t give up no matter how bad things get.
Ø Do you consider the main character to be good or bad, and why?
· She is one of the good ones.
Ø What’s the objective of your character?
· Solving crimes and putting criminals/killers behind bars.
4) Is there anything specific you’d like readers to know about this piece of work?
This is the 7thbook in the series. There is only one more after this one. There are a couple of major plot twists and a cliffhanger that will have you begging for the next installment.
Ø Is there a moral or idea you’re trying to convey – if yes, what and why?
5) Is this novel a standalone?
No, it is part of a series.
Ø If it is included in a series or collection, what is the name and which installment is it?
· Detective Ryan Series, book 7
Ø If it is a part of a book series or collection, can it be enjoyed as a standalone novel or must it be read sequentially to experience the full realm of the tale?
· This one really needs to be read with the rest of the series.
6) Where can readers connect with you and purchase your book?