I’ll Take You to Seethe Ocean by Chantal Bellehumeur
1) What is the title of your book?
Ø What is the story about?
i. The short story is about a widowed mother fulfilling her five-year-old son’s desire to see the ocean by taking him on a cruise to the Magdalen Islands.
Ø Who is the main character?
· Caroline, a single mother of a five-year old boy named James.
2) What inspired this tale?
Ø How did the story come to you?
· I wanted to write something about the beach and the ocean, then remembered a trip to the Magdalen Islands I took with my husband and son back in 2017. That gave me the basis for my story, but it really started taking shape once I actually started writing. I entertain myself as I write, because I often don’t know what will happen until my characters speak to me.
Ø Did you have to research for this novel, and if so, what and why?
· Unfortunately, I hadn’t kept a travel journal or taken any notes during my trip as I often do, so I had to look up a few things while I was writing my story to make sure I was accurate with the facts I included in the story.
Ø If you did research, what do you think surprised you most to learn, and why?
· I technically didn’t really learn anything new, but because I didn’t remember all the facts it was interesting to read about them and remember the things I had originally discovered during my trip
3) Do you feel your character is relatable for readers of all ages?
Ø Is your protagonist anything like you personally?
ü If yes, then how?
· Yes, Caroline is a lot like me. I travelled a lot with my son when he was young. Things didn’t work out between his father and I, so I was a single mom for a while. I share the same bond with my son as Caroline does with hers.
ü If not, then how do you differ from one another?
o I am not a widow
Ø What made you write this character; were they based on a real person or something that inspired you?
ü What should readers know about your protagonist?
o Caroline shares a very special bond with her son James.
ü Why are they important to you?
o Caroline and James remind me of myself and my son, during a time when we did a lot of things together. He was my world and I was his. Now my son is twenty years old and getting ready to move out. He’s becoming independent, and although I am proud of the man he has become part of me kind of miss having him need me.
Ø Do you consider the main character to be good or bad, and why?
· Caroline is definitely a good person.
Ø What’s the objective of your character?
· Caroline wants to see her son happy, so she fulfills his wish to see the ocean.
4) Is there anything specific you’d like readers to know about this piece of work?
I started writing short stories for an online magazine called Mom’s Favorite Reads earlier this year. “I’ll Take You to See the Ocean” started off as a short story I was going to submit to the magazine, but I kept elaborating and embellishing the story as I often do and it ended up being a lot longer then I originally intended it to be. I felt that the story would not be the same if I cut parts out. Instead of having the story potentially split into several issues of the online magazine, I decided to publish it on its own.
Ø Is there a moral or idea you’re trying to convey – if yes, what and why?
· Just to enjoy life
5) Is this novel a standalone?
Ø If it is included in a series or collection, what is the name and which installment is it?
Ø If it is a part of a book series or collection, can it be enjoyed as a standalone novel or must it be read sequentially to experience the full realm of the tale?
· It’s a standalone book.
6) Where can readers connect with you and purchase your book
Readers can connect with me on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4538804.Chantal_Bellehumeur