AUTHOR Amelia Earhart
DID YOU KNOW?
Everyone knows of Amelia Earhart because of the mystery surrounding her death. What they don’t always realize is the accomplishments this amazing woman achieved. According to Newsweek, this pioneering woman fearlessly tackled the following:
- The first woman to fly solo above 14,000 feet
- The first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean
- The first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross, a military decoration awarded for heroism or extraordinary achievement during an aerial flight.
- The first woman to fly solo, nonstop across the United States
- The first person to fly solo from Hawaii to the United States mainland
Not only do I have a passion for aviation but I have a background in it. So, it should come as no surprise that I am an admirer of Amelia Earhart. Of course, my respect for her goes beyond her obvious career as she pioneered more than just the skies. As a woman, she lead the way for females to have new pathways (an example is the Ninety-nines), and she showed great compassion for people while serving as a Red Cross nurse. Still, I learned something new today, which most people don’t realize: Amelia Earhart was a bestselling author!